Amstel Hotel


 
Professor Tulpplein 1
Weesperbuurt/Plantage
Amsterdam
Cornelis Outshoorn (uitbreiding D.A.N. Margadant)
Amstel Hotel Maatschappij
Tram 6-7-10-20; metro/sneltram 51-53-54.
Auke van der Woud, Waarheid en karakter. Het debat over de bouwkunst 1840-1900, Rotterdam, 1997, p.125-26.
1863-1867 (uitbreiding 1899-1900)

Luxurious hotel overlooking the river Amstel

In 1864, Dr. Samuel Sarphati (1813-1866) took the initiative to build the Paleis van Volksvlijt in Frederiksplein, to a design by Cornelis Outshoorn. The building ‘Apollo’ in Prof. Tulpplein, in which exhibitions had been held since 1859, became redundant as a result. Sarphati then set up the Amstel Hotel company, which commissioned Outshoorn to design a luxury hotel on this site.

The original design was on a grand scale. Four wings enclosed a covered inner court, which carriages were to enter via a main entrance on Sarphatistraat. Evidently, the scheme was too ambitious, because only the west wing of the complex was built. Contemporaries described the architectural style of the Amstel Hotel as ‘Renaissance’, while the yellow and red brick facades were perceived as ‘typically Dutch’. The facades were given double pilasters with a cornice, a projecting middle section, windows with rounded arches and horizontal grooves in the masonry. The rear of the hotel faced the river. The hotel contained some 150 rooms and a richly decorated, spacious reception foyer. In 1900, D.A.N. Margadant designed an additional storey for the building. The cornice above the third floor shows the original height of Outshoorn’s hotel. In 1953, a lounge was built on the terrace on the Amstel. Between 1990 and 1992, the hotel was given a radical make-over. The interior was almost completely demolished, the foundations were renewed, the lounge of 1953 was replaced by a glass extension and the facades were cleaned. The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam now has 55 rooms and 24 suites. (ARCAM/DH)