Black Tulip Hotel
|Accessible||5 Minuten lopen van CS|
|More||Marlies Buurman & Flora van Gaalen, Room Service, Amsterdam 2007, p. 20-21.|
|Show on map|
Monumental and kinky
The building on Geldersekade originally dates from the sixteenth century, when the rear building and number 5 Oudezijds Kolk still formed a whole. The timber frame of the rear building (which continues through to 5 Oudezijds Kolk) is original and the ceiling joists are still clearly visible in the section on Geldersekade.
A famous grain merchant, Roemer Pietersz. Visscher (1547-1620), lived in the building from 1605 until 1620. A hospitable and literary man, he invited upand- coming and established artists and writers to his home, which is why it was given the nickname ‘t Salig Roemers Huys (Roemer’s glorious house). Following his death, the building became a tobacco warehouse in Louis XVI style and it was given a straight cornice line. A stylized tobacco plant in front of the fanlight above the entrance recalls this period. The sandstone lower front is in Louis XV style. In 1968, the building was restored under the supervision of the Monuments Office and for many years it was used by a film production company.
In 1994, on the occasion of the four hundredth anniversary of the birth of Roemer Visscher’s daughter Maria Tesselschade (1594-1649), a plaque was unveiled on the building’s facade. On it are two lines from Vondel’s poem ‘De IJstroom’: ‘Waar zijn vloer betreden werd, zijn drempel werd gesleten, van schilders, kunstenaars, van sangers en poeten’ (Where his house was entered, his threshold was worn, by painters, artists, singers and poets). The current owner had the building extensively refurbished in 1997 and converted, by the architect Paul Westerman, into the Black Tulip Hotel. The Black Tulip Hotel is a gay hotel, with two traditional rooms on the ground floor and seven leather/SM rooms on the floors above. (ARCAM/BU/FG)