Bridge control house Nieuwe Amstelbrug
|Architect||Johan Melchior van der Mey|
|More||Meer informatie over Amsterdamse brugwachtershuisjes is te lezen in de publicatie SWEETS. www.arcam.nl/publicaties/775_nl.html|
|Show on map|
Early Amsterdam School bascule bridge
The Nieuwe Amstelbrug was designed in 1903 by Hendrik Leguyt, with Hendrik Petrus Berlage acting as aesthetic adviser. The bridge control building was designed nine years later by Johan Melchior van der Mey. Until its completion, the bridgemaster operated the bridge from a basement near one of the bridge piers.
The Nieuwe Amstelbrug house is a small, rather closed structure. It is notable in particular for its rich and skilful brickwork, making it an excellent example of the Amsterdam School. Because the Nieuwe Amstelbrug was in a very poor state of repair, Dirk Sterenburg designed a new bridge and bridge control building in 1973. Following protests, however, this plan was withdrawn and the bridge was restored in 1985. Although the bridge is called the Nieuwe (new) Amstelbrug, there was never an old Amstelbrug. In 1903 it was simply the newest bridge over the Amstel. In those days, the Hogesluis was also known as the Amstelbrug. (ARCAM/space&matter)