|Architect||A.L. van Gendt / Pi de Bruin|
|Accessible||Tram 3, 5, 12, 16, 24; bus 142, 144, 145, 170, 172, 197, 370 stop Museumplein|
|Show on map|
Music temple on the Museumplein
The Concertgebouw is built in the neoclassical and neo-Renaissance style. It was designed by the architect A.L. van Gendt and was completed in 1888. At that time, it stood in the middle of marshy fields. The main building materials used were sandstone and brick, laid in horizontal bands. Above the former main entrance on Van Baerlestraat is a classical row of columns, in between which, above the window arches, are the busts of Sweelinck, Bach and Beethoven. Above the golden letters Concert-gebouw is a fronton with the Muses depicted in the tympanum. On top of the roof is a golden lyre, which is also present in the logo of the Concertgebouw.
On the east side of the Concertgebouw, in Concertgebouwplein, a new wing, designed by the architect Pi de Bruin, was added in the period 1985/88. This wing was to house the new main entrance and an extra foyer. In addition, cellars were added to the building. On the ground floor, the extension is minimal, while on the first floor it projects far above the pavement. The horizontal form and the glass used for the extension accentuate the hovering character of the whole. (ARCAM/LM)