Apple Boysschool


 
Eerste Jacob van Campenstraat 59
De Pijp
Amsterdam
Dienst Publieke Werken
Gemeente Amsterdam
1882
Cultuur, Onderwijs
 

De Appel, a platform for research and the presentation of contemporary art, is currently located in a former boys’ school. The school building was built as a standard corridor school for the Pijp district, which came into being at the end of the nineteenth century. The school has an L-shaped floor plan with classrooms on two storeys and a corridor on one side, on top of which is a roof storey.

The school was called Jacob van Campen School and the building is characterized by the formal idiom of the architect Jacob van Campen, famous for, among other things, the town hall, now the Dam Palace. The symmetrical layout of the façade is characteristic of Dutch Classicism. In addition, the entrance in the central bay is accentuated by the rounded tympanum above the door. The central bay is again accentuated at cornice level by a triangular pediment.

De Appel has been temporarily housed in the former school building since February 2010. It will move into its new accommodation on Prins Hendrikkade when this has been completed. For many years the building has also housed the music shop of Saul B. Groen, which is located on the side of Ferdinand Bolstraat. (ARCAM/TB)