|Address||P. van Vlissingenstraat 8|
|Architect||Robert Winkel (Bouwdeel A), Cees en Guido Schippers (Bouwdeel BCD)|
|Office||Mei Architecten, Jinx Architecten|
|Accessible||Metro 51, 53, 54|
Up until August 2003, packets of Maple Leaf chewing gum were produced in the chewing gum factory. After lying vacant for several years, the building was bought by Lingotto. Because of its industrial background, converting the building to a new use was a complex task; in particular cleaning up the sticky remnants of chewing gum took a considerable amount of time.
Within a year, however, the first tenants were able to move in. The building’s industrial history, which gives it a ‘raw’ ambience, has been preserved wherever possible: the concrete structures, high spaces and shed roofs date from 1956, the year of construction. The tenants – including Lingotto’s office – are mainly from the creative sector. The fact that the developer herself has moved into the building fits in with the company’s philosophy; sustainable redevelopment with an eye for the right mix of tenants in a building.
This year the factory is to be expanded with the opening of the so-called chewing gum factory Lab on Willem Fenengastraat, which will be open to the public during the 2010 national architecture day. (ARCAM)