De Waag (formerly Sint Antoniespoort)
|Accessible||Alle metrolijnen, halte Nieuwmarkt|
|More||Guus Kemme (red.), Amsterdam architecture - A guide, Amsterdam, 1996.|
|Show on map|
Former city gate, now, among other things, bar-restaurant.
The Waag (weigh-house) in Nieuwmarkt was originally a city gate. As part of the medieval city walls (1481-1494) it comprised a gatehouse with two octagonal towers with steps on the city side, and a front gateway with two towers on the side of the canal. In the city expansion in the late sixteenth century, both the city walls and the city gate lost their function.
In 1545, Sint Antoniespoort (St. Anthony’s Gate) was rebuilt by Alexander Pasqualini and Willem Dirksz. In 1692, the Waag acquired its current form when the space between the towers was covered by a dome and a middle tower. In addition to the weigh-house, the building also housed various guilds – including the surgeons’ guild -, each of which had its own entrance in the gateways around the building. In the 1990s, the Waag was restored by the architect Walter Kramer. The construction was restored and in the interior the paintings and the wooden domed vault were returned to their original state. The Waag has been used as a fire station and a museum, among other things, and it now houses a bar-restaurant and the Society for Old and New Media. (ARCAM/MB)