Hotel de l’Europe
|Address||Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2-8|
|Accessible||Tram 4, 9, 14, 16, 24, 25 (halte Muntplein)|
|More||Marlies Buurman & Flora van Gaalen, Room Service, Amsterdam 2007, p.34-35.|
|Show on map|
Spending the night in a National Monument
The history of Hotel de l’Europe goes back to around 1635 when the defensive bulwark ‘Het Rondeel’ was demolished and an inn, called Het Rondeel, was built on the site. Although it was redeveloped many times, the inn retained this name up until 1895. The building was then replaced by the present-day Hotel de l’Europe, which was built in neo-Renaissance style to a design by the architect W. Hamer, who also designed Hotel Suisse (destroyed by fire) on Kalverstraat and the pavilion in Vondelpark.
The building has largely retained its nineteenth-century appearance, but has undergone a number of refurbishments. In 1898, for example, A.L. Van Gendt and sons reorganized two storeys and in 1902 the architect C. Oosterbaan added a bay window. In 1909, the building was extended when the adjoining property, 4 Nieuwe Doelenstraat, was added to it. A new entrance foyer with a large reception hall, designed by the sons of Van Gendt, was created. A banquet hall and 35 bedrooms were also added.
The last major redevelopment was in 1987 when two adjoining premises (numbers 6 and 8) were added on, providing space for an extra large reception hall, thirty rooms and a fitness centre. The building’s stately facades are characterized by a combination of red mountain stone and brick and natural stone and are provided with pilasters and figurative decorations, such as, for example, the animal figures on the first storey and the kneeling mediaeval figures on the third storey. The style of the facades is reminiscent of that of Amsterdam’s Central Station. In 2002, the building was designated a National Monument because of its architecturalhistorical and urbanistic significance. (ARCAM/BU/FG)