|Commisioner||Stichting Kunstwerk Loods6|
bussines centre for creative industries
Loods 6 was built at the beginning of the twentieth century as a transhipment and customs shed for the Royal Dutch Steamboat Company (KNSM).
In 1956, part of the building was converted, to a design by the naval architect Johan van Tienhoven, into a passenger terminal for first-class passengers, with a baggage hall on the ground floor and the arrival and departure hall on the first floor. The balcony provides a panoramic view over the IJ. Following the departure of the KNSM, in the mid eighties the building was squatted by artists and in the nineties the city council decided that it should be converted to a new use.
Villanova architects opted to transform the closed shed into a transparent and accessible building. The façade is characterized by six metre high glazed fronts, allowing views into the spaces behind. The buildings original function is still recognizable in, for example, the grid of columns and beams, which has deliberately been left exposed to view.
The building is situated in a busy traffic square, which functions as a connecting point between KNSM-eiland and Java-eiland. In order to emphasize this transitional zone, a conservatory-like extension has been added to the head of the building. Since its completion in 1997, the complex has functioned as a multi-use building for the creative sector. On the waterside is an original harbour crane, which is owned by the Open Havenmuseum. (ARCAM/VKB)