|Address||Ambonplein 79 - 81|
|Architect||Jan Stuyt (oorspronkelijke architect), Van Stigt (restauratie)|
|Realized by||1925, restauratie 1992|
The Gerardus Majellakerk is a former Roman Catholic church in Ambonplein in the Indische Buurt in Amsterdam-Oost. The church was built in 1925 to a design by the architect Jan Stuyt and was the centre of a Catholic complex that included housing, a convent and two schools. Like many of the churches Stuyt designed, the Gerardus Majellakerk was inspired by the Byzantine churches he visited during a trip to the Middle East in 1903, in particular the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. The main reference to Byzantine architecture is the large twelve-sided crossing tower. A west tower formed part of the original design but was never built
Eventually, in 1992, the church was declared redundant and was handed over to Stadsherstel Amsterdam. The architect André van Stigt restored the building and created spaces that could be rented out to various organizations. From 1994 to 2011, the building housed the Clara Wichmann Institute and Aletta, among others. In 2012, the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra and the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra moved into the building. (Arcam)
(NL) Transformatie en gentrificatie staat centraal in de Winterlezing over de Indische Buurt.