Windmill De Gooyer
|Accessible||Bus 22 (halte Oostenburgergracht), tram 10 (halte Hoogte Kadijk)|
|More||http://www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/ Gemeentelijk Bureau Monumentenzorg, De vierde uitleg, oude en jonge architectuur ten oosten van de Amstel, Amsterdam, 1991.|
|Show on map|
Corn windmill on Funenkade
The De Gooyer windmill on Funenkade is of a type known as a tower mill with stage, and was erected in its present form in 1814. The first mention of an antecedent of De Gooyer dates back to the sixteenth century, when the mill stood outside the city walls. This mill was severely damaged during the Eighty Years’ War but was rebuilt a few decades later. In 1620, the mill was purchased by the brothers Claes and Jan Willemsz from Gooiland. The nickname for a person from that region, ‘De Gooyer’, soon became attached to the mill itself.
Around 1640, the mill was moved to a new site on the east bank of the River Amstel, probably because it suffered from being in the lee of a city extension built in 1613. The mill was relocated again in 1662, this time to the Oosterbeer Bulwark. De Gooyer finally reached its present location in 1814 – a move once more necessitated by a reduced wind harvest, this time caused by the building of the Oranje-Nassau Barracks nearby. On its new site on Funenkade, the mill was reassembled on a masonry footing taken from a demolished watermill. This footing was transported to Funenkade from elsewhere in the city, and it was increased in height to six metres to support the relocated windmill. On top of this platform, the pinewood body of the mill was erected. The octagonal corn mill is capped with rush thatch and has windsails in the Old Dutch pattern. The mill is now mainly in use as living accommodation although it is still regularly put to work to grind corn. (ARCAM/TJ)