Museum van Loon
|More||Guus Kemme (red.),Amsterdam Architecture - A guide, Amsterdam, 1996.|
|Show on map|
Double canal house in so-called ‘Strakke Stijl’, now museum.
The two identical canal houses have austere square facades, a feature of the then prevailing ‘Strakke Stijl’ (austere style). The buildings have decorations round the entrances and on the roof are statues of Mars, Vulcan, Ceres and Minerva. Both facades are authentic, but a new building has been built behind that of Keizersgracht 674.
The interior of Keizersgracht 672, which dates from 1752, has striking period rooms and a central staircase. In the restoration of 1998, the eye-catching antique kitchen was reconstructed. At the back of the Baroque garden is a summer-house, behind which is the coach-house (Kerkstraat 259). The summer-house has a facade with columns and a tympanum and is embellished with a bust of Apollo, flanked by two statues in niches, Silenus and Flora. The first resident of the double canal house was the painter Ferdinand Bol. In 1884, the Van Loon family bought the building and since then it has been known as Huis van Loon. Willem van Loon was one of the founders of the United East India Company. The last resident was the ‘Dame du Palais’ of Queen Wilhelmina, who received many royal guests in the house. Between 1964 and 1973 the house was restored so that it would be able to function as a museum. Since then, the canal house has been known as Museum Van Loon. (ARCAM/OD)