|Address||'s Gravesandestraat, Linnaeusstraat, Mauritskade, Oosterpark|
|Architect||Leonard A. Springer|
|Accessible||Tram 3-6-7-9-10-14; bus 37-59-120-126-136|
|More||Ons Amsterdam, mei 1993, p.24-25; Vakgroep Landschapsarchitectuur LH Wageningen, Leonard A. Springer, Beschrijving en Documentatie van zijn beroepspraktijk, Wageningen 1982.|
|Category||Groen, Leisure, Openbare ruimte|
Public park in Amsterdam-Oost
Oosterpark, the centre of the city’s Oost district, is bordered on its northern side by the building development on Mauritskade, on its west and south side by the neighbourhood Oosterparkbuurt, and on its east side by Dapperbuurt. The landscape architect L.A. Springer won the competition, organized in 1890, to enlarge and improve the park on Linnaeusstraat, which at that time consisted of a small promenade and play area. The expansion plan drawn up by Kalff in 1876 provided for a promenade park on the site of the Ooster cemetery, which was no longer in use.
The park opened in 1894. Like Vondelpark, Oosterpark is laid out in the English landscape style. Its romantic character, with ponds, plantings and winding paths, has changed considerably over the years. On the side of Mauritskade in particular, large areas of green space have disappeared. The Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen was built in the park. Following a thorough renovation at the end of the twentieth century, the park now has a more open character.