Pakhuis De Zwijger
|Address||Piet Heinkade 179-181|
|Architect||J. de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk en K. Bakker|
|Office||Renovatie Architectenbureau Van Stigt|
|Icw||Heren 5 interiereurarchitecten|
|Realized by||Bouwbedrijf de Nijs|
|More||Dit project is opgenomen in de fietsroute 'Hergebruik'. De wandelroute is te vinden in de gratis architectuur app UAR.|
|Realized||1934, ren. 2006|
|Show on map|
Warehouse de Zwijger
Built in 1933-1934, the refrigerated warehouse de Zwijger formed part of the continuous row of forwarding and cold-storage warehouses along Oostelijke Handelskade, part of Amsterdams inner harbour.
It was intended for the long-term storage of perishable goods and was built to a design by the architect J. de Bie Leuveling Tjeenk and the structural engineer K. Bakker. The building was designed in accordance with the principles of the Nieuwe Bouwen (Dutch Modernism), as a result of which its structure was clearly visible on the exterior, making it one of the most modern warehouses of its day. The concrete load-bearing structure consists of mushroom columns, which support the buildings cantilevered (third to seventh) storeys. On the blind elevation, on the east side, are the names of the nine cities where the company had offices.
In the nineteen seventies and eighties, the dock area was abandoned and the warehouse became redundant. Having lain vacant for many years, the building now has national listed status and has been redeveloped into a multi-use cultural facility. The architectural firm J. van Stigt has transformed de Zwijger into an accessible, largely transparent building, while preserving its closed character. The buildings plinth is set in glass, as a result of which the entrance on the ground floor and the restaurant on the first floor are directly connected to the street and the bridge. In 2000, this bridge, the Jan Schaeferbrug, which connects Piet Heinkade with Java eiland, was built right through the building. (ARCAM/VKB)