|Address||Bos en Lommerweg 189|
|Commisioner||Gereformeerde Gemeente Amsterdam West|
|Accessible||Bus 15, 21; tram 12, 14|
|More||Dick Kaajan, 'Het theelichtje van Boeyinga', in: Amstelodamum, jrg. 81 nr 4, 1994. Radboud van Beekum, B.T. Boeyinga, Amsterdamse School architect, p.59-63, Bussum 2003.|
|Show on map|
Church building with ancillary space
The Dutch Reformed Pniëlkerk was constructed during the boom in church building after the end of the Second World War. Because an earlier design in brick proved too costly, concrete was chosen, a material which at that time in the Netherlands was seldom used for sacred buildings. Churches by, for example, Auguste Perret (church in Raincy, 1924) and by G.H. Holt (St. Josephkerk, Amsterdam 1952) served as models.
The church is situated on the transition between the perimeter block development, which prevailed well into the thirties, and the open row housing of after the war. The church’s form, an irregular pentagon, follows the building line laid down in the zoning plan. A striking feature of the design are the small apertures, formed by glazed bricks, which earned the church its nickname ‘het theelichtje’ (‘the tea warmer’). The church is a municipal listed building and has been nominated for national monument status. An exhibition of the work of the architect B.T. Boeyinga was held in the church in 2003. A theatre is to be set up in the building in 2005. (ARCAM/RB)