|Address||Prins Hendrikkade 73|
|Accessible||Twee minuten lopen vanaf het Centraal Station|
|More||Dick van der Horst (red.), 'Aan 't schipryk Y...' - Oude en jonge monumenten rond de historische oevers van het IJ, Stadsuitgeverij Amsterdam/Gemeentelijk Bureau Monumentenzorg, 1995, p.34-38. Zie voor meer informatie over dit gebouw ook de rubriek 'Typisch Amsterdams' op www.amsterdam.nl|
Church in a mixture of neo-styles
With its large, tall dome and twin steeples, the St. Nicolaaskerk (formally known as St. Nicholas Within The City Walls) forms a prominent part of the inner city skyline. The church was built between 1884 and 1887 as a successor to the former St. Nicolaas Church on Ouderkerksplein, which Protestants took over from the Catholics during the Alteration of 1578. The new church was built in a mixture of styles, in which Dutch Neo-Renaissance and baroque elements predominate.
The church was built as a three-aisle cruciform basilica. The central aisle, choir and transept have wooden barrel vaults with cassettes. Stone cross vaulting covers the side aisles. The octagonal dome originally consisted of an outer shell with windows and an inner shell of leaded glass. This was changed in the renovation that took place from 1966 to 1973. The outer windows were bricked up, eliminating the soft light that illuminated the liturgical centre of the church from above. Financial straits put an end to the restoration, and the glass inner shell of the dome was dismantled and stored away at another location. In the final years of the 20th century, restoration resumed and was completed in 1999. The dome windows are now open once again and the inner shell of stained glass has been reinstalled. (ARCAM/MW)