The Dylan Amsterdam
|Accessible||Tram 1, 2, 5 (halte Keizersgracht), tram 13, 17 (halte Westermarkt)|
|More||Marlies Buurman & Flora van Gaalen, Room Service, Amsterdam 2007, p.30-31.|
|Show on map|
Boutique Hotel in the Amsterdam Cuity Centre
The block in which The Dylan is situated has an eventful history. Drama played a major role, because in 1612 Doctor Samuel Coster founded the theatre the ‘Duytsche Academie’. In 1632, the architect Jacob van Campen was commissioned to build a stone theatre. In addition to many Dutch plays, works by Shakespeare, Moliëre, Voltaire and Corneille were also performed in this theatre.
During the centenary celebrations in 1732, Antonio Vivaldi conducted the theatre orchestra. Famous visitors included the Prince of Orange, the King of Poland, the Czar of Russia, the Elector of Brandenburg and many others. On 11 May 1772, the theatre burned to the ground. The building was subsequently rebuilt and sold to the trustees of the Roman Catholic orphanage Burgerweeshuis and the Oudemannenhuis (old men’s home), the most important Catholic charitable institution of that period. This institution owned the block up until 1998.
In 1999, the British designer Anouska Hempel bought the building and turned it into the first Boutique hotel in Europe: the Blakes Hotel. It became well known because of its exclusive and trendy design and it attracted many famous guests from around the world. In 2005, the hotel was sold and the name changed to ‘The Dylan Amsterdam’. The designer duo FG Stijl was hired to restyle the public spaces and reinstate history in this historic building. (ARCAM/BU/FG)