THNK School of Creative Leadership
|Show on map|
THNK School of Creative Leadership is housed in a nineteenth-century neoclassical building on Keizersgracht. The building is built in accordance with classical order books, which determined the layout of the building and the façade on the basis of classical writings on proportions.
The stuccoed cornice façade is built according to the colossal order. The first and second storeys are connected by means of the pilasters that extend over the two storeys. Unlike most canal-side buildings, the entrance has always been at street level and you dont have to walk up steps to the first floor.
Although the building was built as a private dwelling, from 1879 onwards it housed a municipal girls school. In 1936, the International Institute for Social History moved into the building and radically redeveloped it in order to house its archives there. In the 70s and 80s, the building was used by the Society for Theatre Training.
From 1997 until 2012, the building has been used by the Netherlands Institute for Media Art, which came into being as a result of a merger between Time Based Arts and Montevideo. (ARCAM/TB)