|Commisioner||Louys en Hendrik Trip|
|Accessible||Metro halte Nieuwmarkt|
A Seventeenth Century Merchants Mansion
The Trippenhuis is named after its first residents, the brothers Louys and Hendrik Trip. They had this colossal town mansion built by Justus Vingboons, the younger brother of the much better known architect Philips Vingboons. The double mansion was completed in 1662.
It is hard to see from the street that the facade conceals two mirror-image identical houses. The Trip brothers earned their fortune mainly by arms trading, describing themselves as weapon dealers in peace. Signs of their metier appear in the facade of the double house; for example, the chimneys on each side of the building are shaped like mortars, and cannonballs and muzzles appear around the escutcheon on the fronton. The lush ornamentation of olive twigs and palms between the pilasters signify peace, however, reflecting the brothers averred ideals.
The mansion was built in a strict Dutch Classical style with eight Corinthian pilasters. The middle four pilasters project forwards slightly giving the appearance of supporting the fronton, which frames the coat of arms of the Trip family. Eminent guests were entertained in the reception rooms on the first floor. From 1817 to 1885, the Trippenhuis housed the collection of the Rijksmuseum, and Rembrandts Night Watch hung in the Great Salon of the left-hand house.
Today the Trippenhuis is home to the The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. (ARCAM/LM)