Gymnastics building/De Krakeling
|Address||Nieuwe Passeerdersstraat 1|
|Architect||Jonas Ingenohl, Karel Joan Muller|
|Commisioner||Maatschappij voor Turngebouwen|
|Accessible||Tram 6-7-10; bus 145-170-171-172-197|
|More||Ons Amsterdam, 2001, nr.6, p.172-176; E. Smit, 'Een inrichting voor heilgymnastiek en orthopaedie. Het Amsterdamse turngebouw van K.J. Muller en J. Ingenohl, 1885-1887' in: De Sluitsteen, Jaarboek van het Cuypersgenootschap, 1998, p.61-85.|
|Show on map|
Former gymnastics building, now youth theatre
The Society for Gymnastics Buildings commissioned the architects J. Ingenohl and K.J. Muller (who was himself a gymnast) to design a new building. German gymnastics buildings served as the model for the design of the floor plan, interior and use. In addition to the main gymnastics hall, the design also included an open area in the back garden for outdoor exercises and various dwellings in the building sections on Marnixstraat and Leidsekade.
The gymnastics building has three street elevations: two tall house elevations with oriels and stepped gables on Marnixstraat and Leidsekade, connected via the lower, elongated facade of the gymnastics hall on Nieuwe Passeerdersstraat. The red brick facades have characteristic Renaissance accents such as rustication in natural stone. In several places, pointed and trefoil arches, derived from Gothic, have been used. The iron wall anchors on the facade on Marnixstraat together form ‘A 1887 O’, the year in which the building was completed. The sloping steps of the stepped gable are covered with roof tiles.