|Commisioner||Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam|
|Accessible||bus 145, 170, tram 16|
|More||Radboud van Beekum, B.T. Boeyinga, Amsterdamse School architect, Bussum 2003, p.66-69. G. Westerink, 'De schepping in eigen hand genomen. De bouwgeschiedenis van het voormalige VU Laboratorium', in: Kunstlicht, 14e jrg. Nr 3-4, 1994. Maarten Kloos, Dave Wendt (ed.), Formats for living. Contemporary floor plans in Amsterdam, Amsterdam, 2000, p.112-13.|
Former laboratory building at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The Vrije Universiteit (Free University) in Amsterdam, which was founded in 1880, set up a physics and chemistry faculty in the late twenties. B.T. Boeyinga was invited to design new accommodation for these departments. He designed a large block, adjoining an existing physiology laboratory.
The alternating bands of brick and concrete gave the facade a pronounced horizontality, which was interrupted vertically at the entrance by a stairwell. Glazed bricks were used in the upper lights of the windows. A sculpture by Theo van Reijn, representing the Creation, was placed above the entrance. Shortly after the end of the Second World War it became obvious that the complex was too small. Boeyinga added two storeys, which were not as finely detailed as the structure of 1932 and its horizontal character was more or less destroyed. When the university moved to Buitenveldert in the seventies, the laboratory became redundant. For many years it stood empty and demolition threatened. In 1988, the building was renovated and converted into a complex of offices and apartments. (ARCAM/RB)