|Realized||17e eeuw - Heden|
Ribbon development with wooden houses
Buiksloterdijk was originally part of the village of Buiksloot, situated on the IJ. The dike was built to protect the village from flooding. Due to its location on the IJ, the village has a long history as an important junction on the waterborne transport route between Amsterdam and North Holland. The village came into being in the thirteenth century and, because of its interchange function, developed in the seventeenth century into a bustling village and centre of entertainment.
When Buikslotermeerpolder was reclaimed, the village was no longer located on open water and as a result of building development in the area in the twentieth century, Buiksloterdijk partly lost its rural character. In 1921, the village was incorporated in Amsterdam after numerous villages had been flooded for the umpteenth time and they could no longer afford to reinforce the dike.
A ribbon of development is situated against the inside of the dike, behind which is the village church (1710). The lower lying ground level inside the dike is used as a garden. The oldest houses in the village centre date from the sixteenth century, when the village was rebuilt after being destroyed in the Eighty Years War. The architects of these houses are largely anonymous, but they were often master carpenters who determined the design. Many of the designs were taken from carpentry books, which were full of examples.
The captains house is at number 280 and is part of the so-called kapiteinshemeltje (captains heaven) (numbers 280-284); a series of wooden houses that were inhabited by retired captains. The core of the house dates from the mid seventeenth century, the ornamental gable in Rococo style dates from a century later. The facades of the dike houses are in a variety of colours and styles, such as neck gables (number 330) and Dutch gables (number 206). In the Housing Act of 1901, stone houses became the norm, as a result of which some of the houses were given a stone lower front (number 214). Due to the construction of Nieuwe Leeuwarderweg (1968) and other traffic engineering developments, parts of the dike were demolished. Many of the houses now have national listed status. (ARCAM/VKB)